+ Register
  • Main navigation
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
25 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

How to get a CHD file to work for mame. I HOPE THIS HELPS
Just popping in
From Auckland, New Zealand
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 1; EXP : 73
HP : 0 / 18
MP : 2 / 581
ok, now i was totally bamboozled by the chd cunundrum, and none of the info i could get helped. so ill start at the beginning. i did this with war gods, so ill use it as an example. (youve already downloaded the wargods.zip from the roms area)put the wargods.zip file containing the rom s**t in the roms like normal. go to the chd area of the bulk download section and download all the wargods files in this directory(dont know where it is? well then i cant help you, you cripple!!) also youl need power archiver http://www.powerarchiver.com, cause winzip win rar and other ones are just totally crap. put the wargods chd and accociated files (z0) in a folder inside your "roms" folder for your mame emulator and name it WARGODS (or whatever its called on the rom zip file) EG c:/emame/roms/wargods/ put them in here!!!! highlight the 4(in this case) z0 files, right click and add them to the wargods.zip file containing the chd. then extract the chd to the roms/wargods (or whatever game it is) folder, and it should work. i havent done this for killer instinct 1 and 2, but by tomorrow i will have done ki1 so ill come back and report on that. hope this helps all of ya who where just like me, confused as F**K. Questions? post em!!! akuma

Posted on: 2003/11/11 22:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How to get a CHD file to work for mame. I HOPE THIS HELPS
Home away from home
From Vicenza - Italy
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 18; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 426
MP : 125 / 13531
ehm, without all the *** words, just use winzip 8.0 or above,(for z0, z1 etc files) or winrar (for partxx.rar files) to recompact your .chd *BIG* file and follow instructions in the help file of your mame (e.g., this is what is written in mame32 hel file... [quote] Games that support .chd [compressed hard drive] images [Max Force, Killer Instinct I & II, Area 51, Vicious Circle, and War Gods] have to have their ROMs and .chd files in a specific directory structure. The single large .chd file need to go in a directory named for the game one layer beneath the ROMs, e.g. for Area 51, mame32\ROMs\area51.zip [for the small zipped ROMs], and mame32\ROMs\area51\area51.chd [for the large single freestanding .chd file]. [/quote] hope this helps a little all people that spent a night downloading some hundreds MBs and now WANT their game running... :-)

Posted on: 2003/11/11 23:34

Just popping in
From Auckland, New Zealand
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 1; EXP : 73
HP : 0 / 18
MP : 2 / 581
thanks for your input man, but the reason i wrote this is because i had a lot of trouble extracting the file, and i had read most of the latest posts on this site as well as the mame32 help file, they explained the easy part of putting the files into specific folders, but not how to extract them properly. i figured it out after a while, just trying to help others. NOTE: The method explained in this group of posts also works for killer instinct 1 which i did this morning without a hitch. so im guessing it will work for all chd files. akuma

Posted on: 2003/11/12 8:17

From Assistant Webmaster
Level : 24; EXP : 92
HP : 0 / 598
MP : 253 / 19027
I think you've over complicated it. It's pretty simple to do, and in the case of WarGods, just do the following : - Download all files for the archive (in this case, wargods.zip -> wargods.z04) to the same directory. This does not need to be in your roms dir, just somewhere you know where you put it. - Open the 1st file in the archive (again, in this case you should open wargods.zip) and you should the CHD file in there. - Unzip to a directory under your roms directory, named by the rom name (so, in this case, '\roms\wargods') If you can't extract the file, grab the latest version of WinZip. If you still can't extract it, chances are you've got a corrupt zip file. The same method works with CHD's in Rar format (you download all files from filename.rar -> filename.rxx [where xx is a number indicating what part of the whole archive it is] or you could have filename.Part01.rar -> filename.Part50.rar) I know that all the files don't necessarily need to be in the same directory, but it does help. Just make sure you open the 1st file in the archive ('.zip' for zip files, '.rar' or '.part01.rar' for rar files) Simple! Just make sure you download all files belonging to the archive to the same directory, and unzip it to the correct place. I've never had a problem with this.

Posted on: 2003/11/12 10:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]