+ Register
  • Main navigation
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
23 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

New to MAME .chd files
Just popping in
From Maryland
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 1; EXP : 34
HP : 0 / 8
MP : 1 / 107
I am new to MAME and have been watching youtube videos, browsing forums...but i can't find out how these .chd files work and where to get them? Can anyone tell me about .chd files (in simple terms). Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2010/4/4 4:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New to MAME .chd files
Just popping in
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 2; EXP : 38
HP : 0 / 34
MP : 4 / 440
chd's are 'Compressed Hunks of Data', or compressed hard drives. The first term is the real one, the second is more readily understandable. The reason it's Compressed Hunks of Data is that chd's incorporate hard drives, cd-roms and Laser Discs.

Lots of arcade games in the late 90's and beyond used much better graphics and audio than those of their earlier counterparts, and it became increasingly costly to make chips with larger and larger capacity, the simple solution: store the game on the hard drive.

So in order for MAME to emulate these newer games, a copy of the hard drive is required along with the BIOS of the games motherboard.

Some games in the mid 80's also used Laser Discs and some of those games are emulated as well. These Laser Discs run into about 13-15Gb each, so they're not small ! They are, however, filled with a fair amount of full motion video, so the games have a pretty decent story line.

You can get the chd files from the BDA (Bulk Download Area). You will need a copy of the BIOS as well, and those can be downloaded from the BDA also. Note: quite a few of the chd based games currently do not work in MAME, and many of those that do run at a virtual snails pace.

I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 7:08

Just popping in
From Maryland
Group:
Registered-Users
Thanks, that sort of helped me. So basically i download the bios in the bda and i download the chd's in the bda as well. I checked out the carnevil chd and there was like 81 of the chd's. Do i need to download them all and the bios in order for the game to work on MAME?

Posted on: 2010/4/5 0:26

Home away from home
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 31; EXP : 2
HP : 150 / 750
MP : 427 / 11867
die4mey dont forget to download on GetRight and use Flashgot Plugin to get the files more then one download on firefox the Downloads page will shut down .

Posted on: 2010/4/5 6:59

Just popping in
From Maryland
Group:
Registered-Users
So I do have to download them all...what happens if I only download the .chd's, will it work or is there more?

Posted on: 2010/4/5 7:19

Just popping in
Group:
Registered-Users
Level : 2; EXP : 38
HP : 0 / 34
MP : 4 / 440
You need all of the rar parts. The rar archive is then extracted into a subfolder and more than likely the folder will need to be renamed to work correctly in the current versions of MAME.

You will also need the bios/rom files. Both the chd (in it's sub folder) and the bios/rom zip go into the 'roms' directory in your MAME folder.

Run MAME (I use MAMEUI-64), choose Audit Games from the menu, then select Available Games from the left hand column. And you should see CarnEvil in there. Be warned, this game runs as slow as hell on most machines.

If you're expecting Arcade perfect playability, you're likely to be disappointed.

Just to make it easier on you, you'll need the chd folder to be called 'carnevil' and you'll need the 'carnevil.zip' file as well.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 8:04

Just popping in
From Maryland
Group:
Registered-Users
Ok...I downloaded all the .chd's (almost 1:30 hours) and found the rom file, where can I get the bios file for carnevil? Also, do extract the carnevil.zip or leave it in the rom file like it is? I really appreciate your guys help!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/5 11:51

Just popping in
From Maryland
Group:
Registered-Users
i can't find the carnevil bios? also when i press play, it says that i am missing carnevil.chd...what the heck is that supposed to mean. I put the chds in a folder then put the folder in a zipped folder called carnevil with the rom. That file went under roms. could you please help, thank,

Posted on: 2010/4/10 1:48

Home away from home
Group:
Registered-Users
SEE THIS!
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/1q1ycg.jpg[/IMG]
You need more? No.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 3:29

Home away from home
Group:
Registered-Users
If not working the chd file you use a old mame to play the game you need the last release because chd as been updated 3 times in the past.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 3:31

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]